This conceit — that the fundamental divides creating discord in America are easily corrected by a cool head and an open mind — is perhaps the most central ideological tenet of contemporary liberalism. It’s also a major obstacle to a more egalitarian society.
Injustice, in the liberal narrative, is a product of misunderstanding, an offspring of faceless processes that no one really benefits from and only the ignorant line up in defense of.
So blind is the liberal gaze to questions of power that even something as clearly based in domination as the Jim Crow regime is recast, as in the arguments of Gunnar Myrdal, as merely an awkward and irrational contradiction in Americans’ hearts, easily corrected if exposed as incompatible with the supposedly egalitarian ethic of the “American Creed.”
In the liberal imagination, education and accommodation are self-evident solutions, since the problem can neither be understood as a matter of brute power struggles nor as a product of structural inequality fundamental to the functioning of entire institutions.
The hundreds of murals that decorate the walls of cultural centers and student resource buildings across the country attest to this narrative of victims without victimizers. We see images of people holding flags and coming together. But who they are organizing against is rarely depicted.— Robin Marie Averbeck, Why I’m Not A Liberal (via globalwarmist)
1) I’m an expert on the apartheid because I’ve lived in South Africa! Israel isn’t an apartheid okay, I would know. Ignore the fact that I’m white and Jewish, please. Also ignore those pesky South African who contradict me.
2) Israel-Palestine is ~complex~ therefore different from South Africa! Ignore the decades where the international community did nothing about apartheid South Africa because they said it was ~complex~
3) Israel and Palestine are both at fault! There’s just so much hate, you know. I am for Peace. Ignore the occupation, settlements, murder, ethnic cleansing, etc.
4) But Israel’s so progressive and democratic. Look at all this democracy! And progress!
5) I mean, what does apartheid even mean though, you know????!?
6) “Primitive propoganda”—break to point out how fricking (back to my Ramadan no cursing routine okay) Orientalist this is holy crap— that’s all it is! These Arabs are such barbarians. Look at all our civilization. Wow, such civilization.
7) Arabs in Israel are citizens! See, they have papers and everything? ”Death to the Arab riots?” Pshh, primitive propoganda.
8) Okay okay there are some shitty things going on in the West Bank, sure, but apartheid? Never! It’s incompatible with Jewish ethics. And Judaism is Zionism. Which means if you criticize Zionism you’re an anti-semite!
today was day 2 of job
- private corner office
- full wall of windows
- TWO desks (one is for drawing/drafting and the other has the computer)
- TWO chairs (because why not get up instead of rolling to the other desk)
- Bosses are on holiday (I’m getting paid to listen to music and mess with a 3d modeling program)
- the department I was hired for doesn’t exist yet (I’m the head of my department)
- I am the ONLY white male (all sorts of cultures and cool names!!!!)